Frequently Asked Questions


Please see the below FAQs for help or contact the Recruiting Flight Commander at or (315) 443-2461 with any further questions.

For help with more questions visit the Help Center at 

FAQs about the Program

Do I have to join ROTC as a college freshman?

Short answer, no.  AFROTC typically follows a four year track, however, there a number of variations to the program.  These variations include one to three years and even some graduate level programs.  Contact the Detachment Cadre to see if what program is right for you.


Do I need a specific major to enroll in AFROTC?

No, AFROTC accepts any major that earns a bachelor’s degree.


How do I enroll into AFROTC at Detachment 535?

To enroll in AFROTC at Det. 535 please contact the Detachment Staff in order to set up an appointment to begin the application process.


Are there scholarships available?

Yes there are a number of scholarships available for both current high school students in addition to those already in college.  Scholarships can pay for in-state tuition up to full-tuition, fees, books, and a tax-free monthly stipend.  For more information please visit:


What about my previous military training?

There are specific waivers for prior military experience as well as Junior ROTC, Civil Air Patrol and Service Academies. Ask the Recruiting Flight Commander for details.  Additionally, there a number of scholarship opportunities available for prior-enlisted personnel.


Do I have to fly?

No.  There are roughly 50 officer career fields in the Air Force that you’ll have the opportunity to pick from.  Visit to learning more about all the exciting opportunities in the Air Force.


Can you guarantee me a Pilot, Combat Systems Officer, or Air Battle Manager slot?

No. Pilot, Combat Systems Officer, and Air Battle Manager candidates are selected during cadets’ junior year. The process is competitive.


Do I have to live in a barracks?

No, not while you’re in school. You will live just like any other college student during the semester, whether it be on or off campus. You will live in a barracks or dormitories while attending Field Training or other professional development programs (PDTs).


Do I have to cut my hair?

Maybe. Hair must be kept in accordance with Air Force guidelines when in uniform.  See AFI 36-2903 for more information on hair regulations and standards.


Do I have to wear a uniform to class every day?

No.  You are only required to wear a uniform whenever you have AS Class, leadership lab, physical training, or any other official AFROTC events/meetings.


How much time do I have to spend with ROTC each week?

As a freshmen or sophomore cadets are required to attend a one credit hour academic class, two hour leadership lab, and two physical training sessions a week.  This is roughly 5 hours a week.  As a junior or senior cadets are required to attend a three credit hour academic class, two hour leadership lab, and two physical training sessions a week.  This is roughly 7 hours a week.  There is also the opportunity to participate in optional extracurricular activities.

FAQs about Enlisted Students


Can I be in the Reserves or National Guard and enroll in AFROTC?

A contracted member of the Reserves or National Guard can enroll in AFROTC. However, he/she must be released from their contract before contracting with AFROTC (no later than 30 days before commissioning). Individuals cannot have another military contract while contracted with AFROTC. All the necessary forms and paperwork are available at your local base education office.


Are there scholarship opportunities available for enlisted personnel?

Yes!  There are a number of scholarship opportunities available for enlisted personnel, they include:

  • Airman Scholarship and Commissioning Program (ACSP)
  • Professional Officer Course – Early Release Program (POC-ERP)
  • Scholarships for Outstanding Airmen (SOAR)
  • Nurse Enlisted Commissioning Program (NECP)

For more information about these programs and how to apply, visit:


Do I have to be enlisted in the Air Force to join AFROTC or receive scholarships?

No you don’t have to be enlisted in the Air Force to join AFROTC or receive scholarships.  Enlisted personnel from other services are eligible for both the POC-ERP and ACSP scholarship programs.  You will need to request a conditional release from your service’s personnel system which can be completed with a DD Form  368.

For more information about these programs and how to apply, visit:

FAQs about Cross-Town Students


What is the Cross-Town Program?

The Cross-Town Program allows students to enroll into the Syracuse University Air Force ROTC program while attending a neighboring college or university. This allows cadets to complete a degree at a university while still taking part in Air Force ROTC officer training at Syracuse University.

In our area, we have agreements with the following schools: Cazenovia College, Columbia College at Hancock Field, Hamilton College, Le Moyne College, Mohawk Valley Community College, Morrisville State College, Onondaga Community College, SUNY-ESF, SUNY Polytechnic Institute, SUNY Oswego, SUNY Upstate Medical University, Utica College.


How will I get to and from Syracuse University for classes?

It is the cadet responsibility to arrange transportation to and from SU. To ease the burden of traveling from further schools cadets are sometimes excused from some events.  Many cadets arrange carpools to get to the SU campus.


Will I be able to fully participate in the Air Force ROTC program if I am a cross-town student?

Yes, cross-town cadets are treated no differently than cadets attending the host school. All cadets will have the same opportunities to actively participate in ROTC and earn positions of responsibility in the Air Force ROTC program.  We are also currently using video conferencing and independent study to allow for greater access to AS Classes that better fit a student’s schedule.


Will Air Force ROTC interfere with my school schedule?

No, Air Force ROTC commitments are mainly satisfied through the ROTC class and leadership lab. Students should be able to schedule classes around the Air Force ROTC activities. In Air Force ROTC, education comes first and a college degree is necessary and essential to the Air Force officer commissioning program.